Monday, October 23, 2017

Fall Recipes to Try



I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, fall is one of the best, if not THE best season! The same green leaves on every tree are starting to turn vibrant orange, yellow, burgundy, and gold…beautiful! It’s warm enough not to need a coat but cool enough to wear a cozy sweater. It’s cool enough to drive with the windows down for the first time in months and not break into a sweat like you’re working on a prison chain gang. Apples, pumpkins, and pears are now the fruit of the season. The food is heartier, the coffee house drinks are warmer, and people start entertaining at home more.

I’m someone who believes that every gathering of people is an opportunity to make a memory. In fact, between you and me, I’ve always wanted to host a Truman Capote-style dinner party. Know who Truman Capote is? He wrote Breakfast at Tiffany’s. His dinner parties (circa 1958-1961) were the stuff of legends and the guest list included celebrities, royalty, international personalities, intellectuals, regular-brained people, singles and couples. Imagine what the conversation smust have been like!

A dinner party with great conversationalists and unexpected recipes always set the stage for making great memories! However, fall recipes don’t have to end with dinner. They start with breakfast and continue throughout the day. You can really enjoy the flavors of fall by incorporating in-season fruits and veggies into each meal. Instead of snacking on strawberries and grapes, switch to pears and apples. Instead of white potatoes, use sweet potatoes.  Instead of broccoli, try brussel sprouts. Seasonal fruits and vegetables just seem to naturally taste good together.

…and if you‘re in need of an awesome autumn menu, keep reading. We found a few fall recipes that not only look fun to make but sound delicious! The recipes for the drool-worthy pictures you’ll see below aren’t in this blog. Instead, find us on Pinterest by searching jbmhhfmwr. All of these delicious recipes are kept there…just waiting for you!


The Perfect Fall Menu

Breakfast
What is breakfast, really, if not a fluffy stack of pancakes or waffles? Surprise your family or out-of-town guests with Apple Cider Waffles or Pumpkin Pancakes.



Lunch
Since eating healthier lunches are en vogue now, may we suggest a Harvest Cobb Salad or Harvest Tuna. I like that by adding seasonal ingredients you not only up the taste factor but you’re also getting a few extra dashes of vitamins and nutrients.






































Dinner
The thing about fall dinners is that they tend to be so soul-comforting and so warming that after eating, you just glow from the inside out. And the aroma coming from the kitchen while dinner is cooking is like a blanket you wrap yourself in on a rainy day. In my house, we call these kinds of dinners “good eats.”

Cocktails
Although I’m not a drinker anymore (a couple of rough nights in college fixed that), I can appreciate one’s appreciation of a well prepared cocktail. In keeping with the fall theme, these two cocktail feature two of my favorite fruits, blood oranges and pomegranates. Hmmm, maybe I could have just one cocktail…to toast to fall!  ;)

Dessert
I like to compartmentalize my seasons and holidays. I will only eat cold things, like ice cream, in the summer. And I will NEVER play a Christmas song or watch a Christmas show before December 1. For me, waiting until summer to enjoy ice cream just makes it taste that more sweet and creamy. Starting my Christmas celebration on December 1 means I’ve fully enjoyed Thanksgiving and can now devote all of my attention to candy canes, cranberries, and Christmas carols.

Hence…the caramel apples. Man, do I looooove caramel apples. I eat them A LOT during fall and I enjoy every sweet, delicious, caramely bite.



















Pecans seems to be a hot item in the fall and although we’re technically in the South, I still just can’t wrap my head around Pecan Pie. I’ve seen the recipes for that pie. Why don’t they just inject you with simple syrup and just speed right to the diabetes (I’m diabetic and the amount of sugar was scary! J) That doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy the sweet and savory taste of a dessert with pecans. Try this…


I know. Some of these recipes are not for the Wednesday Dinner Dash so many of us experience during the week. You’re absolutely right. These recipes are for when you want to entertain at home...you know, Truman Capote-style.

No comments:

Post a Comment