Wednesday, September 27, 2017

Really Cool Life Hacks



Nothing excites me more than finding really cool ways to do things I’ve always done but in a better and more efficient way. I just loooooove trying hacks and finding out that they work. It’s almost like winning the lottery. Almost.

In my mind, all of the life hacks I accumulate are helping to run my tornado of a life into a manageable mess.  …and when I luck onto something that just seems like the best thing since someone said, “I know! Slice the bread!”…well, that’s just the icing on the cake.

Below you’ll find a quick and dirty list of some of my favorite life hacks. I use these every time an occasion calls for it. It never fails that when someone notices my little moment of genius, I get a thumbs up, or a “OMG! I never thought of that.”

I’m sure you’ll see one or two things in the list below that you can start using right away. If not, just print this blog post and keep it for future reference. And, if you have a Pinterest account, feel free to follow our Life hacks board @jbmhhfmwr.

On to the list!

Velcro Strips
I used these bad boys to keep the rug on my balcony from flapping in the wind. Every time we got a little wind, the corners of the rug were waving and blowing around like they wanted to be rescued from the storm. Now, those corners just lay there and weather the storm. …and here’s another little tip about these…don’t use them on wooden floors. Use a rug mat to keep area rugs in place.

























Can Tabs
Maybe this is a phenomenon that happens only in my closet but it is seems more and more that the amount of clothing in my closet exceeds the amount of space in my closet. Using a can tab as a way to double the efficiency of a hanger, thereby providing more space. You can also prep your wardrobe for the week using this little tin treasures.









































I Don’t Care. What Do You Want To Do?
“Tale as old as time. True as it can be…” How many times have you had this very argument with your significant other? It’s finally time for Date Night and no one knows what to do or where to go. If you’re up for a little adventure, give this a try.





The Devil in Eggs
The holidays will be here before you know it and you may be called upon to make your famous deviled eggs. Oh, wait. That’s me. My family, church, and friends like my deviled eggs. What can I say? I’ve mastered the deviled egg. What I haven’t mastered is being able to get the shell off the egg without ripping it to shreds. It’s a crap shoot, really, as to how many eggs out of a dozen will make it to the serving tray. Hopefully, this will help save time and money.






















The Scent of the Season
Sometimes, adding a scent to the air isn’t about removing the smell of boys and wet dog from the house. It’s about adding just the right scent to enhance the season or occasion. Try one of these for an inexpensive, creative, and natural way to make your home smell like a memory in the making.







































Keystroke Shortcuts
Ever wonder how people are able to put a symbol like this ”©” into their Word document. The illustration below shows you the keystrokes to use.





There’s No Crying In The Kitchen
Although there are many, many alternatives to you cooking a meal (carry out, take out, meal prep, fresh meal delivery, etc.), chances are you’ll still have your time at the stove. Chances are also that many a recipe will include onions. Rather than cry into your food, try this tip for holding back the onion tears.






















Big Bang For Your Buck
A coat or two of paint is an inexpensive way to freshen up the look of a room. It’s the fumes that can make the new and improved room hard to handle. Here’s a way to enjoy a new color on the walls and not have to deal with the fumes that linger behind.

























Double Duty Shower Caps
A lot of us have to travel for our jobs. If not, we travel for pleasure. How many of us have taken pause when it comes to packing shoes? No need to scratch your head over this. Use a cheap plastic shower cap to pack your shoes in.

























Keep It In The Closet
One of my all-time pet peeves about my kitchen is under the sink clutter. I can never find or reach anything without pulling everything out first. It’s maddening. Then, I saw the idea to re-purpose a hanging shoe organizer. Now, now only is the under the sink clutter gone, cleaning supplies are safely stored and organized in a location that was previously not being used. Win!

























Commandment #11 - Carry Straws!
Not that I’m a germophobe but I do wonder just how clean can tops, bottles, and glasses are.  …and don’t start with “but if the glass isn’t clean then the contents are contaminated.” I can’t think about that now. I’ll think about that tomorrow. In the meantime, carry clean straw in a toothbrush holder. Cool, huh?






Lucky Number 13…And The Best Hack of All
If you have kids or a husband/boyfriend, you absolutely need a bottle of this homemade solution around at all times. Who knew white vinegar, the blue Dawn dish soap and hot water was a miracle cleaner?? I’ve actually used this recipe to clean the upholstery in my husband’s car.  IT WORKS! Now we use it to clean the shower, the oven (when mixed with baking soda) and so many other things. Trust me! You’ll want to try this!





Not everyone gets the joy I do out of learning new tips and tricks to doing everyday things. I get that. But, I have to say, I’m a little bit of a rock star in my circle because people are always wanting to see the newest thing I’ve discovered. Try one of these jacks and tell your friends about it. You’ll be amazed at how people will react to your “genius.” Have fun and use your fame for good!













No comments:

Post a Comment