Thursday, December 22, 2016

"Maybe, Christmas … perhaps … means a little bit more.”





“Maybe Christmas, he thought, doesn’t come from a store. Maybe, Christmas … perhaps … means a little bit more.”  ~ The Grinch

An old piece of wisdom says, “It take a village to raise a child.” I truly believe this to be true. Personally, my village had a looooooooooooot of people in it. My parents, friends of my parents, grandmother, my aunt and uncle, baby-sitters, priests, old mean nuns, extended family members, shop owners, teachers, scout leaders, dance teachers, etc… Shenanigans were NOT tolerated in my village. Sure, we could be kids but we couldn’t go crazy with that. I also want to say my village – not my peers – taught me invaluable life lessons.

One of the most profound lessons I’ve ever learned from my village was to remember the reason for the (Christmas) season. These days, we acknowledge and respect that other religions have important holidays at this time, too, so this blog won’t be about the reason for the season, per se. Instead, we’ll talk about how to get the most out of the holiday season in a way that EVERYONE benefits.

You’ll hear your family say this. Newscasters will say it. It’ll be a funny meme on social media.  …and it’ll be true. This time of year brings out the best in us all. We’re more cheerful, more loving, more generous, happier…the perfect time of year to do things for others!

This year, spend some time showing others the beauty of the season with Random Acts of Kindness. It’s a great way to teach little ones to be grateful for what they have. It’s an anonymous way to show someone who’s having a hard time a little act of charity they otherwise may be too proud to accept. And most importantly (for me), it helps us to remember that Christmas isn’t on sale or gift wrapped and placed under the Christmas tree.  …and of course, it’s another way to see the awesome beauty of a truly genuine smile.

Don’t think you don’t have the means to show Random Acts of Kindness. These ROAKs (as you’ll see them referred to on social media) can be as simple as helping someone at the grocery store load their groceries into the car (or in my case, haul them up 4 flights of stairs). Pump someone’s gas for them so they don’t have to get out of the car. Hold up traffic (safely) so the slower moving person can cross the street at their pace. Or, if your ambitions is to be the King or Queen of ROAKs, we have some great ideas that are sure to keep the recipient smiling for weeks!







Vending Machine Magic
Sometimes, the afternoon munchies hit hard! I don’t know about you but I rarely carry actual money anymore. I use a check card or credit card for most everything so I never have the right currency to raid the vending machine (which can be a blessing in disguise). Finding this ROAK would be right on time! You can also feed a meter or tape coins to a washer at the laundry mat.












Blessing Bags
I love, love, love this idea! Get gallon sized Ziploc bags and add snacks, hygiene products, money, socks, over the counter medicine … whatever you want. When you see a person hold a sign and asking for food or money, you gift them with a Blessing Bag.  Imagine how surprised and touched that person will feel.  Voila! Blessing bestowed, all thanks to you!














Pay Attention to Someone Who is Usually Overlooked
Give your Refuse Technicians (trash collectors) or Correspondence Coordinator (mail person) a shout out this holiday season! My mother always had us kids leave the mailman and trash collectors a holiday card with a $20 bill or gift card inside. “They do a lot for us through the year. They deserve a little something special.” You know what? She was right.





 

 
Pick Up the Tab
I don’t mean foot the bill for dinner at Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse or the Capital Grille. Instead, when you’re in line getting a coffee, pay for the coffee behind you. If you’re in a McDonald’s drive-thru, pay for the car behind you. I got caught up in in a “pay it forward/pick up the tab” chain once. When the lady at the drive-thru window told me the car in front of me paid for my food, I paid for the car behind me. She said people had been paying it forward for at least an hour. It felt good to be a part of that and I hoped that the nice feeling we got from knowing someone paid for our meal would ripple through everything else we did that day. I think that’s the point of a “pay it forward” chain. Start your own “pay it forward” chain and know that you’re responsible for good vibes in the universe. We could use more good vibes.

Hopefully, you and your crew are inspired to show Random of Acts of Kindness during this holiday season. I am just as hopeful that you will be the recipient of Random Acts of Kindness; and if you should be, be sure to pay it forward!

If you are going to be a Random of Acts of Kindness Elf, please take pictures of your elf magic and post it to social media. Be sure to tag us @jbmhhfmwr!

No comments:

Post a Comment