Wednesday, October 5, 2016

A Fun Way to Capture All the Fall Moments



I've always heard that time moves faster the older you get.  I couldn’t understand that while I was a teenager.  In my twenties, I was moving too fast to listen.  In my thirties, I was too busy building a career to care. Now that I’m 45 - and fabulous :), I know exactly what that means.  It seems like just a couple of weeks ago, it was Memorial Day.  The reality is it’s almost Halloween.  …and I’m ok with that!  I love fall or hadn’t you noticed?!

What I’m finding out as I watch the seasons speed by is that I don’t have enough evidence of the season having arrived or what I did to enjoy each season.  I used to have the excuse of “Oh, man!  I left my camera at home” or “Darn it! The store messed up my pictures (this new generations call ‘em pics).”  However, smartphones have done two things: they have made it easy to have a camera with you all the time.  The other awesome thing about having a smartphones is the ability to share your pics as often as you like, with whomever you like, in as many different ways as you like.  So far, we can share pics via social media (you can upload a pic to ANY social media platform), via email as an attachment, from the magical cloud, Air Drop, text, FaceTime … it’s endless.  Which in itself is cool.  The big rub is, how many of us actually take the kind of pictures that record our memories?  We take pics of idiots who parallel park over three spaces or the guy in Wal-Mart dressed as a Care Bear.  I just don’t know if we want a photo stream filled with kind of stuff.  Well, I don’t.

Here’s what started this thought process.  My iPhone alerted me earlier this week that I had a software update waiting to install.  ...and who am I NOT to install something my phone thinks I need?  I downloaded iOS 10 (sidenote: So far, I’m loving the upgrades!).  One of the coolest features is the Memories Button you can find on the bottom bar of your camera app.  That feature provides a slide show of the pictures you’ve taken for the last three months and the best pics you’ve taken through the year.  What a cool idea, right?  Right!..until you look at your slide show and see pictures of a grocery list, the cable hanging off the roof, the dent in the fender.  I keep thinking, “I know I did stuff, why don’t I have better pics?” The only reason I’ve come up with is, I just can’t remember to take the pictures.  This is where the 45 years old part comes in.

In my attempt to be keep informed of the latest trends in social media, I ran across something called a “30 Day Picture Challenge.”  It’s exactly what it sounds like.  Someone somewhere writes out a list of pictures participants should take - one per day.  Pic Challenge categories include general photography challenges, theme challenges (Halloween), monthly challenges (March), seasonal challenges (fall), travel challenges (road trips), location challenges (Rome), hourly challenges, and LOTS MORE! In other words, if the 30 Day Pic Challenge is about Spring things, you'll take one pic a day with a spring theme.  In fact, you'll take a pic of the item listed for that day on the list of pics.  For example, on day one you take a pic of a tulip.  Day two, you take a pic of a sunrise.  Day three, you take a pic of Easter decorations, and so on.

As the pics are taken, participants can either post those pictures on a website or their social media accounts, save them to their computer, or print them to include in a photo album.  Either method ensures the memories of a particular season or event are captured for a lifetime…no matter how quickly time flies.

Joint Base Myer-Henderson Hall’s (JBM-HH) Family & Morale, Welfare, and Recreation (Family & MWR) have been on the 30 Day Pic Challenge band wagon for at least a year.  We list the current pic challenge in the fmwR&R magazine (visit www.jbmhhfmwr.com to see the current challenge) or on our Instagram page (search @jbmhhfmwr).  If you visit our Instagram page, you will be able to see pictures we’ve taken when we’ve participated in one of our own pic challenges.

Which brings us to the October/Halloween Pic Challenge (see below).  Have a lot of fun with this challenge!  Have even more fun by inviting family and friends to participate in the challenge with you!  We at Family & MWR like to think of ourselves as your friend so be sure to tag us (@jbmhhfmwr) if you post your pics on social media. We can’t wait to see what’s going on in your world!

No comments:

Post a Comment